Will Russia Halt Elton John's Concerts This Friday?
BY Michelle Garcia
December 02 2013 2:58 PM ET
Elton John's mini-tour of Russia may be on the ropes, as his performance would likely be a violation of the nation's law banning so-called LGBT propaganda.
John is scheduled to play Friday in Crocus City Hall in Moscow, and then Tatneft Arena in Kazan. Though he has been performing in Russia for decades, the new law may prevent this series of concerts from taking place, The Australian reports.
John said he has chosen to continue to perform in Russia to show his solidarity with the nation's LGBT people.
“I've got to go,” John said earlier this year. “And I've got to think about what I'm going to say very carefully. There's two avenues of thought: Do you stop everyone going, ban all the artists coming in from Russia? But then you're really leaving the men and women who are gay and suffering under the antigay laws in an isolated situation. As a gay man, I can't leave those people on their own without going over there and supporting them. I don't know what's going to happen, but I've got to go.”
Earlier this year, a parents' group asked Russian president Vladimir Putin to cancel the concerts because John would be in violation of the law.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM