Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
BY Jase Peeples
March 10 2014 1:27 PM ET
Irish drag queen Panti Bliss took to the stage of Ireland’s national theater, the Abbey, February 1 to deliver a powerful speech explaining the effects of homophobia and the oppressive environment antigay attitudes can foster for LGBT people.
Bliss, also known as Rory O’Neal, delivered the moving monologue as a response to controversy surrounding comments the performer made during a January interview with an Irish radio station, when he called out a number of newspaper columnists for writing homophobic opinion pieces.
Now, the legendary musical duo Pet Shop Boys have given the drag diva’s inspiring speech a fabulous makeover by incorporating Bliss’s commentary into a new dance track, “The Best Gay Possible.”
Listen to the full song below.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6