BY Advocate.com Editors
November 10 2009 11:00 AM ET
The Photographer: Annie Leibovitz
Annie Leibovitz is usually a master of images, but this year even she couldn’t get a handle on her own picture. For years, the most famous living photographer was a private genius, the woman behind enduring photos of figures like Demi Moore and John Lennon, but never much for basking in public view. Leibovitz’s artistic credibility and personal stability were buoyed by her longtime relationship with writer Susan Sontag, but when Sontag died in 2004, everything seemed to fall apart.
Leibovitz’s finances were deteriorating, despite commercial contracts and a seven-figure salary at Vanity Fair. Within months of Sontag’s death, Leibovitz’s father died and her twins were born (she has three children). By summer 2009 the situation was dire—a lending group sued Leibovitz for $24 million and the artist was in danger of losing the rights to her pictures, which she had put up as collateral. It’s widely speculated that the main source of her money woes were hefty estate taxes that Leibovitz was saddled with after Sontag’s death.
But Leibovitz was always good at rebounding, and she didn’t let this year pass without turning things around. On September 11 the equity group withdrew its lawsuit and extended the terms of her loan. The photographer wasted no time booking work to pay off her debts—she was recently seen trailing President Obama at the White House, snapping away.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 15 min 9 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 30 min 52 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 47 min 27 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 5 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 7 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 37 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 30 min ago