BY Lesley Goldberg
December 10 2009 2:55 PM ET
Like him or not, Perez Hilton has become more than a headline writer covering celebrity gossip. Through the well-documented scuffle with will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas to this week’s feud with Sam Rubin, a reporter at KTLA Morning News in Los Angeles, Hilton has become the subject of said headlines, especially with his new book, True Bloggywood Stories: The Glamorous Life of Beating, Cheating, and Overdosing. The notorious blogger says he hesitated before agreeing to do the KTLA show after a “heated” interview earlier this year with an anchor via Skype and only opted to appear because he’s a “media whore” who wanted to promote his book. Who knew showing up an hour and a half before an appearance would cause such a stir and prompt Rubin’s on-air tirade?
Hilton paused between posts and interviews to discuss the kerfuffle with Rubin, Bloggywood, polarizing audiences, and who his favorite target is.
Advocate.com: What happened with Sam Rubin on Monday at KTLA?
Perez Hilton: What happened was just an unfortunate situation that has spiraled out of control. Basically, what happened was there was a lot of miscommunication. That’s the truth. I arrived to do a segment an hour and a half before I was supposed to go on. If I would have known when I really had to be there, I would have showed up on time or brought my laptop so I could still work. It was Monday, my busiest day of the week; I could not be away from my site for close to two hours, so I asked if there was any way possible that I could go earlier than 9:20 a.m., when I was scheduled to go. They said no.
I was trying to come up with options. I said to them, “I know it’s not your fault. I apologize. It’s not my fault either; there’s just a miscommunication and let’s see if we can come up with a creative solution for it.” ... They weren’t working with me. I was like, “Well, I’ve done your show via Skype before, can I do it via Skype at the scheduled time so I don’t throw you off schedule?” They’re like, “No, we can’t really do that because we advertised and promoted you as you being here in studio and we have a whole five-minute segment planned just for you.” I asked if I could do a quick hello from the studio, like 30 seconds or a minute, something like, “Hey, everyone, some breaking Tiger Woods news came up and I’ve got to run but I’ll catch up with you guys at 9:20 via Skype with all the latest.” And they weren’t even willing or able to do that. At that point, I was like, let’s reschedule. Then it really upset me. I don’t know if you heard me on [KIIS FM with] Ryan Seacrest [Wednesday], but I called them out on their BS. I dropped names, and the one anchor, Sam Rubin, couldn’t step up to the plate and hit a home run because he was batting with faulty balls.
So Sam’s on-air tirade was based on ...
It wasn’t necessary. I’m actually flattered because the reason they did it means that I’m newsworthy and they thought I’m newsworthy and/or they wanted to use me for publicity. So I’m flattered. I love that it’s become a big story. Today [Wednesday], I told my publicist to send it to all the news shows. Hopefully it gets on all the news programs and hopefully people talk about my book!
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM