Who Wants to Lick Charlton Heston?
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 08 2010 8:15 PM ET
A petition to commemorate Charlton Heston on a U.S. postage stamp took place on the actor’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame today. A press release encouraged fans to “send an e-mail, letter and/or sign the petition in support of the effort to successfully implement this historic Hollywood figure into the U.S. postal stamp collection.” Heston was described in the release as “an icon of epic proportions, Academy Award-winning actor, philanthropist, and political activist.”
Missing from the release was any reference to Heston’s ties to the National Rifle Association, which many feel sullied his impressive film legacy, which included a performance as gay artist Michelangelo in The Agony and the Ecstasy and the title role in the homoerotic Ben-Hur. Heston’s numerous speeches on behalf of the NRA often included antigay rhetoric, drawing the ire of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and other LGBT organizations.
In 1997, GLAAD criticized Heston’s speech at the Free Congress Foundation's 20th Anniversary Gala, during which he stated, “I find my blood pressure rising when [President] Clinton’s cultural shock troops participate in homosexual rights fund-raisers but boycott gun rights fund-raisers ... and then claim it's time to place homosexual men in tents with Boy Scouts, and suggest that sperm donor babies born into lesbian relationships are somehow better served and more loved.” He’s also noted for the bon mot “In Hollywood there are more gun owners in the closet than homosexuals.”
See the following pages for late LGBT entertainers who are more worthy of celebrating.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 1 hour 55 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM