Sacha Harding: Flattered by the Attention
BY Jeremy Kinser
January 23 2012 5:00 AM ET
Have you witnessed homophobia in sports?
I personally have not.
Do you think that after Gareth Thomas came out as gay and the antibullying campaign that Ben Cohen works on that professional sports will be more accepting of openly gay players?
I hope so. Someone’s sexual preference shouldn't have any effect on whether some can be professional sportsmen. They should be appreciated for their talent.
You're obviously very open-minded about your gay fans. Do you foresee yourself becoming involved in a campaign like Ben Cohen's to help end homophobia and antigay bullying?
Ben has his own very personal reason for starting his charity and doing all the hard work he does. If people feel like I can help in any way, then I am more than happy to.
What advice would you give to a teammate who is deciding whether to come out as gay?
I would say that the only people that matter will understand anyway. Life is too short to worry about what people think and let that dictate your life. Do what makes you happy.
How do your rugby teammates feel about your strong stance on gay rights?
My team, the club, and its supporters have always been behind whatever I have done.
How do you feel about having a gay following?
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Trans Woman Who Expanded Facebook's Gender Options Banned For Not Using 'Real Name'
- WATCH: 7-Year-Old Waves Pride Flag in Face of Homophobic Rant, Wins Internet
- Why Is the Duggar Family Paying the Cops Investigating Them?