Chaz Bono First Transgender Recipient of Prestigious GLAAD Award
BY Jeremy Kinser
April 10 2012 9:00 AM ET
The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation named Chaz Bono today as the first-ever transgender recipient of its Stephen F. Kolzak Award, which is presented to an openly LGBT media professional who has made a significant difference in promoting equality.
“Chaz has opened the door for countless others, reshaping the way Americans think about transgender people today," said Mike Thompson, acting president of GLAAD. "His bold leadership in sharing his story as a transgender man, as well as his tireless work to secure equality for every American, embodies the values of GLAAD’s Stephen F. Kolzak Award.”
Bono's visibility as a transgender man has been unparalleled since he came out in 2009. Besides his memoir Transition: The Story of How I became A Man, Bono was the subject of two documentaries that were broadcast on OWN last year and a cover profile in The Advocate. Bono also made a huge impact as a popular contestant on ABC's competition series Dancing With the Stars.
Bono will be honored at the 23rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles April 21. Ellen DeGeneres is scheduled to open the show, with other honorees expected to be announced soon. Other guests at the event include The Hunger Games' Josh Hutcherson, who has become an outspoken advocate for equality with his work alongside the Straight But Not Narrow campaign, Modern Family's Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Happily Divorced's Fran Drescher, and the cast of Hot in Cleveland, including Betty White.
For more information go to GLAAD.org.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 3 min 11 sec ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM