Ricky Martin, Ryan Murphy To Host Obama Fundraisers
BY Jeremy Kinser
May 11 2012 1:17 PM ET
President Obama's long-awaited show support of marriage equality has energized much of the entertainment industry with Ricky Martin and Ryan Murphy both scheduled to host fundraising events for the president's re-election campaign.
The party that Martin will host, which was planned prior to Obama's historic announcement during an interview with ABC's Robin Roberts earlier this week, is presented by the LGBT Leadership Council, Obama for America and the Futuro Fund. The event, which will cost between $5,000 and $35,800 to attend, will take place May 14 at the Rubin Museum of Art in New York. and is being held to court two key constituencies for Obama’s re-election campaign: gays and Latinos.
Murphy and fiancé David Miller will host a fundraising dinner at their home on June 6. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the pair's dinner with the president "will cost $40,000 per couple or $25,000 for those attending on their own. Guests can become co-hosts by agreeing to raise $250,000 for the president’s reelection." The Murphy-Miller dinner will take place the same night the president is scheduled to attend an LGBT gala and concert in Beverly Hills.
THR notes that demand for tickets to the gala has significantly increased this week and that a new venue is being sought to accommodate demand. Promoters are also considering adding a second performer to join the already-announced Pink.
A dinner hosted by George Clooney on Thursday that was attended by entertainer Barbra Streisand, actor Robert Downey Jr, and film executive Jeffrey Katzenberg, among others. raised an estimated $15 million.
Following Obama's interview Wednesday, an excited Martin tweeted, "I applaud President @barackobama for affirming that ALL Americans should enjoy equal rights. Historic! I will be a very proud host on Monday."
- Marriage Equality ACLU Launches My Big Gay (Il)legal Wedding Contest 7 min 59 sec ago
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 2 hours 49 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 7:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 6:30 AM
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM