Boxer Manny Pacquiao Compares Marriage Equality to Sodom and Gomorrah
BY Jeremy Kinser
May 15 2012 9:36 PM ET
World Boxing Organization welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao, a devoted Catholic, uses Old Testament scripture to criticize President Obama's public support of marriage equality, according to an exclusive interview with the National Conservative Examiner.
"God's words first ... obey God's law first before considering the laws of man," Pacquiao said of Obama's historic show of support last week. "God only expects man and woman to be together and to be legally married, only if they so are in love with each other. It should not be of the same sex so as to adulterate the altar of matrimony, like in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah of Old."
Pacquiao, who is also a Philippine legislator, feels the U.S. has a responsibility that Obama is not maintaining. "America should be the model of morality for other countries to emulate and must have the responsibility to uphold the Scripture to the highest order of God's command," he adds.
According to the Examiner, Pacquiao also quotes from Leviticus 20:13, which reads, “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”
The boxer recently placed number 4 on Forbes magazine's list of most influential athletes in the world.
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Out Photographer Slammed for Gay Iwo Jima Re-Creation
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses