Celebrities Raise Voices On Point to Benefit LGBTQ Scholars
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 18 2012 2:53 PM ET
On Saturday, September 15, The Wiltern theater in Los Angeles was overtaken by stars and scholars, for the "Voices on Point" concert, a gala fundraiser for the Point Foundation. The event raised nearly $330,000 for the Foundation, which awards scholarships to deserving LGBTQ students who want to pursue their higher education dreams, but lack the financial, familial, or institutional support to do so. The Advocate was a media sponsor of the event.
The concert, accompanied by a catered dinner, was hosted by Hal Sparks, an outspoken ally and comedian best known for his role of Michael Novotny on Queer As Folk.
"The moment-to-moment, day-to-day reaching out is really what the Point Foundation is about, and it's really important," said Sparks. "To give kids in the LGBT community a leg up when they may be the most vulnerable, there's value in that."
Musical accompaniment was provided by headliner Robin Thicke, who was joined by Broadway's John Tartaglia (Avenue Q), Rock Mafia, TV's Ellen Greene (who performed a moving rendition of "Not While I'm Around" from Sweeney Todd), and Dancing With The Stars' Mark Ballas.
The star-studded evening featured current Point Scholars, accompanied by celebrities including Queen Latifah, former 'N Sync member Lance Bass, Law & Order: SVU's Judith Light, Cougar Town and Dawson's Creek actress Busy Phillips, Partners actor Michael Urie, and The Newsroom's Thomas Sodaski.
These celebrities and more strutted their stuff on the red carpet before the event, where The Advocate caught up with several of them. Read on to see what each had to say about The Point Foundation's importance, and what they would have done with a scholarship.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?'
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- Maddow to Putin: Ha! Take That!
- Op-ed: What It's Like Being Trans In Military Academies
- Year in Review The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?' 5:00 AM
- Women Kim Basinger is Sleek and Sexy in Pin-Striped Men's Suit December 18 2013 9:50 PM
- Women Op-ed: The Right's War on Christmas - The 2013 Edition! December 18 2013 9:06 PM
- Entertainment News Ian McKellen Surprised Hobbit Fans At Desolation of Smaug Screening December 18 2013 7:07 PM
- Travel Sia Wants You to Help the Street Animals of India December 18 2013 5:23 PM
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective December 18 2013 4:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! December 18 2013 4:49 PM