Celebrities Raise Voices On Point to Benefit LGBTQ Scholars
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 18 2012 3:53 PM ET
Michael Urie, actor in Partners, Advocate.com profile feature, on what it means to give queer youth an opportunity to better themselves:
"When I was a kid, there were not LGBTQ scholarship opportunities, at least not that I was aware of. Now there are organizations that are helping to support the higher education of the LGBTQ community. We have a lot of LGBTQ youth who are living in families where they are a minority in the family. Their parents are non-LGBTQ, their sisters and brothers are as well, so Point sets them up with mentors and the money that they need to go on to these universities where they meet more like-minded individuals, they meet more people like them, and many, many times, they get opportunities they wouldn't get otherwise."
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- Obama: Constitution 'Does Guarantee Same-Sex Marriage in All 50 States'
- Op-ed: How The Way He Looks Will Open Your Eyes
- PHOTOS: The First Weddings in Arizona