WATCH: Dustin Lance Black Helps Raise $300K for Marriage Equality
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 24 2012 4:24 PM ET
Following a trademark rousing speech while accepting an award from the Human Rights Campaign, Dustin Lance Black helped raise $300,000 for marriage equality.
While accepting the HRC's Visibility Award, presented by Chad Griffin, the organization's president and a friend of Black's, on September 15, the Oscar-winning writer shared moving stories about coming out to his mother and how his late brother was never able to live in an accepting environment as an openly gay man. But the activist also used the evening as an opportunity to help raise awareness for Washington's Referendum 74, which would legalize same-sex marriage in the state.
It was a big night for both Black and the HRC. "I’m proud to share that we raised approximately $300,000 that night, including a $50,000 match from HRC," Black writes on his blog. "This is one of the largest amounts raised during a ‘raise the paddle’ in HRC history. The $300,000 brings HRC’s total commitment to marriage efforts in Washington State to $1 million. And all of the money we raised will remain in Washington State, going toward the fight to secure marriage there once and for all."
HRC has created a special fund for Washington State, with 100% of contributions going toward efforts to pass Referendum 74. To donate go here.
Watch Black's speech below.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM