Sahara Davenport's Death Due to Heart Failure, Says Rep
BY Trudy Ring
October 03 2012 6:02 PM ET
The death of RuPaul’s Drag Race star Sahara Davenport was due to heart failure, a spokesperson for Davenport said today, reports The Wrap.
Davenport, 27, died Monday at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. Further details surrounding his death were not available, according to the site.
Born Antoine Ashley, he appeared on season 2 of RuPaul’s Drag Race in 2010. He was the partner in life of fellow drag star Karl Westerberg, who performs under the name Manila Luzon.
The Wrap quoted a tribute from Westerberg: “Antoine lived to entertain the world as Sahara Davenport, and the world was in awe over his extreme talent. But his heart is what made us all fall in love with him. To me he will always be my best friend, my hero, my Diva, and I have always considered myself more than lucky to have him be forever a part of my life. Thank you, hon, for bringing so much beauty to all of us. Your legacy lives on in me and all of us you’ve touched.”
RuPaul shared his grief on Twitter, saying, “Shocked & heartbroken over @SaharaDavenport. Never occurred to me that we’d ever lose one of my girls. I see them as immortal.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 35 min 39 sec ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 1 hour 32 min ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 1 hour 35 min ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM