WATCH: Jackie Collins Says Matt Bomer Lost Superman Role Because He's Gay
BY Trudy Ring
October 22 2012 2:15 PM ET
Matt Bomer lost out on a chance to play Superman because he’s gay, at least according to author Jackie Collins.
Collins, whose sexy and sensational novels are often set against a showbiz background and frequently feature gay characters, tells Gaydar Radio that Bomer, the White Collar star who came out this year, was being considered in 2003 for the lead in Superman Flyby, a film that was ultimately never made.
Bomer “had not come out of the closet, but people in the know knew he was gay,” Collins says. “His audition tape went in and he called up the agent. Someone didn’t like him and told [the producers] he was gay. They said, ‘No, no, we can’t cast you.’ The reason he didn’t get cast was because he was gay.”
Collins, who does not reveal her source for the information, also talks to Gaydar Radio interviewers Neil Sexton and Debbie Ryan about her many gay friends, why closeted actors don’t come out, and her belief that the world isn’t getting better for women and LGBT people. In addition, Sexton and Ryan try to guess who the gay characters in Collins’s new novel, The Power Trip, are based on. Watch a promo for the interview below, and listen to the full segment here.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Sweden Is Adding a Gender-Neutral Pronoun to Its Dictionary
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.