Biracial Lesbian Vying for Miss South Carolina Crown
BY Neal Broverman
April 05 2013 2:00 AM ET
You have such a positive attitude. Where does that come from?
I’ve experienced a lot of things in life. A lot of negativity. I’ve seen a lot of people get bullied, so I try to be on the up side of things. Special Olympics South Carolina is my platform and I’ve been working with them since I was 8-years-old. And I’ve seen so much discrimination towards people with special needs, and I’m Hispanic and African-American and I’ve seen a lot of discrimination there, as well as with other minorities. So, I try to be an advocate for equality for everyone and be that positive role model. If I can't be that role model and be positive and comfortable in what I have to say then I shouldn’t have it as my platform.
Is there anyone you really admire?
I really admire my mother, as well as Bree Boyce. I love Bree because she’s made such a difference in South Carolina; she’s Miss South Carolina 2011. She made such a impact with her platform fighting obesity and she lost all that weight and really made a difference. She also sent me a message on Facebook telling me how proud she was of me. I was so humbled when she did that.
Are you nervous about coming out publicly? What if parents or churches call and say they don't want you in the pageant? How will you handle that?
Very calmly (chuckles). I’m a very positive person, so I always come back with positive feedback. I mean its not like every gay person is out to get you, or your daughter or your son or whoever you have as a relative. I'll just try and do my best and think positively.
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM