Edie Windsor's Honey Badger Q&A: Talks Gay Men, Hetero Bed Death
BY Neal Broverman
May 03 2013 11:01 AM ET
Edie Windsor, the charismatic lead plantiff in the Supreme Court case against the antigay Defense of Marriage Act, discussed gay men, feminism, and her sex life in The New York Times.
The 83-year-old has never been described as a shrinking violet, and she lived up to her outspoken reputation in her interview with Andrew Goldman. On Bill Clinton signing DOMA, she said, "I hated him. I would trust no Clinton anywhere any time." Windsor admits she and deceased partner Thea Spyer lived with internalized homophobia when they were younger, saying that before Stonewall, flamboyant gay men made them nervous. Windsor was also not comfortable with many feminists, saying of the National Organization of Women, "They were really separatists. There was so much negative male talk, and the men in my life were nice people."
Windsor also discussed her sex life with Spyer, saying they continued to be intimate even after her wife was rendered a quadriplegic from multiple sclerosis. "We were crazy in love," she says. "Today, what we really have is heterosexual bed death. The terrific divorce rate is coming from something."
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 4 min 20 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 36 min 34 sec ago
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 2 hours 19 min ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 2 hours 42 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 2 hours 50 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 3:39 PM
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 3:31 PM