Edie Windsor's Honey Badger Q&A: Talks Gay Men, Hetero Bed Death
BY Neal Broverman
May 03 2013 12:01 PM ET
Edie Windsor, the charismatic lead plantiff in the Supreme Court case against the antigay Defense of Marriage Act, discussed gay men, feminism, and her sex life in The New York Times.
The 83-year-old has never been described as a shrinking violet, and she lived up to her outspoken reputation in her interview with Andrew Goldman. On Bill Clinton signing DOMA, she said, "I hated him. I would trust no Clinton anywhere any time." Windsor admits she and deceased partner Thea Spyer lived with internalized homophobia when they were younger, saying that before Stonewall, flamboyant gay men made them nervous. Windsor was also not comfortable with many feminists, saying of the National Organization of Women, "They were really separatists. There was so much negative male talk, and the men in my life were nice people."
Windsor also discussed her sex life with Spyer, saying they continued to be intimate even after her wife was rendered a quadriplegic from multiple sclerosis. "We were crazy in love," she says. "Today, what we really have is heterosexual bed death. The terrific divorce rate is coming from something."
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- CNN to Test New Don Lemon Prime-Time Show
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 53 min 32 sec ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 1 hour 29 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 2 hours 36 min ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 2 hours 43 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 2 hours 46 min ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM