WATCH: RuPaul Talks LGBT Rights
BY Jase Peeples
May 07 2013 12:49 PM ET
On the heels of crowning the Drag Race season 5 champion Jinkx Monsoon, RuPaul, talks with the New York Times about the current state of LGBT rights and reveals he’s concerned the positive momentum the LGBT community has been enjoying in recent years could change direction in the future.
“I’ve been around for a long time. The pendulum always swings,” RuPaul says. “Will it swing back to that type of small closed window? More than likely it will.”
Nevertheless the iconic performer isn’t letting worries about the possible future keep him from bringing aspects of LGBT culture to the mainstream. “So, in the meantime, we’re enjoying Drag Race,” he says.
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- PHOTOS: Meet the First Trans Man to Win a Gay Games Gold in Powerlifting
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Marriage Decision: 'No Need For Us to Rush'
- WATCH: Antigay Billboard Sparks Controversy in Tenn.