George Takei to Receive Leadership Award for LGBT Advocacy
BY Jase Peeples
August 24 2013 11:06 AM ET
The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force announced iconic Star Trek actor and LGBT advocate George Takei will be the recipient of the organization’s 2013 National Leadership Award, reports the Associated Press.
The award will be given to Takei on November 9 at the 17th Annual Miami Recognition Dinner which honors people for contributions made to the social, cultural, political, and humanitarian needs of the LGBT community.
“I am deeply honored to be recognized by this wonderful organization that has been fighting for LGBT equality for the past four decades,” Takei said in a statement. “It is a privilege to be part of an event like the 17th Annual Miami Recognition Dinner that raises money for multiple organizations serving our community.”
Since publicly coming out of the closet in 2005, the former helmsman of the starship Enterprise has helped plot a course for LGBT equality around the world. He as has also appeared in numerous guest-starring roles on television and more than 40 feature films, cementing his place in history as a Hollywood legend as well.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Report: Couple Refuses Deal in Torture Case
- WATCH: Bianca Del Rio and Adore Delano Star in Starbucks' First LGBT Commercial
- 20 Touching, Funny, and Silly Twitter Reactions to Tim Cook's Coming-Out
- Tim Cook: Being Gay Has Helped Me Lead Apple
- #TBT: Anxiety and the Men's Shower Room