Anne Rice Supports Ellen Page, Takes Bite Out of Page’s Critics
BY Patrick Yacco
February 18 2014 3:12 PM ET
On her Facebook page Saturday, famed author Anne Rice praised actress Ellen Page for coming out and then used the social media network as a platform to denounce those who don’t support Page. The post reads in part, "I will no longer tolerate hate speech in the guise of Christian belief with the usual irresponsible pick and choose Bible quotes and talk of 'sin' and hellfire. I have had enough of it, and I think the world has had enough of it too." She added that she has banned many people from her page as a result of their reaction to Page's announcement. The post has received over 24,000 likes, making it one of her most popular posts to date.
Rice, whose son Christopher is gay, is a longtime supporter of LGBT rights. She previously used her Facebook page to draw attention to issues such as marriage equality, and she left the Roman Catholic Church due to its antigay stances.
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- BREAKING: How About a President Santorum?
- Op-ed: Let's Keep the Momentum Going After Win in Ireland