Anne Rice Supports Ellen Page, Takes Bite Out of Page’s Critics
BY Patrick Yacco
February 18 2014 3:12 PM ET
On her Facebook page Saturday, famed author Anne Rice praised actress Ellen Page for coming out and then used the social media network as a platform to denounce those who don’t support Page. The post reads in part, "I will no longer tolerate hate speech in the guise of Christian belief with the usual irresponsible pick and choose Bible quotes and talk of 'sin' and hellfire. I have had enough of it, and I think the world has had enough of it too." She added that she has banned many people from her page as a result of their reaction to Page's announcement. The post has received over 24,000 likes, making it one of her most popular posts to date.
Rice, whose son Christopher is gay, is a longtime supporter of LGBT rights. She previously used her Facebook page to draw attention to issues such as marriage equality, and she left the Roman Catholic Church due to its antigay stances.
- Bruce Jenner Ends Speculation, Comes Out as Transgender Woman
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel
- 7 Lessons in How (And How Not) to Interview Trans People
- AIDS Org. Made Men Over 40 Pay to Attend Pool Party
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times