BY Albert Smith
March 13 2010 6:35 AM ET
Why are you a photographer?
I can't imagine not doing it! Being such a visual artist, I can't seem to turn off the whirling thoughts and images in my head. My biggest fear is that I won't have enough time to create all the striking ideas that come to me. I've always been involved with the arts in one way or another, from music to creative writing. Ultimately, though, it's a way of expressing yourself in a different medium that I think speaks to people on a deeper level. Knowing that I touch people and have an effect on them constantly pushes me on.
What catches your eye?
I actually see beauty in so many different ways. Sometimes it can be something as simple as a man's jawline or the curve of his smile. Of course, there are men who have a timelessness about them, and I can't imagine not capturing that look.
How do you choose your subjects?
I look for a confidence and playfulness in the models that I work with. They can't be afraid of expressing themselves and their sexuality. When I meet men that I want to work with, I see the way the light hits them, and it resonates for me. It's like bell chimes in my head and I can just see them in my scenarios before ever picking up my camera.
How do you describe your work?
My work is really a mix. Artistically, my black-and-whites tend to be classic, strong images exposing men on a variety of emotional levels. I've also been doing a collection called "Candy Shoppe," which is very stylized with an emphasis on color, texture, vibrancy, and sexuality, both serious and playful.
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Entertainment News Musto: Tom Daley & Maria Bello Are Bi, Get Used To It 1 hour 13 min ago
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 7:00 AM
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM