Artist Spotlight: Ryan Colford
BY Albert Smith
March 13 2010 7:35 AM ET
Why are you a photographer?
I can't imagine not doing it! Being such a visual artist, I can't seem to turn off the whirling thoughts and images in my head. My biggest fear is that I won't have enough time to create all the striking ideas that come to me. I've always been involved with the arts in one way or another, from music to creative writing. Ultimately, though, it's a way of expressing yourself in a different medium that I think speaks to people on a deeper level. Knowing that I touch people and have an effect on them constantly pushes me on.
What catches your eye?
I actually see beauty in so many different ways. Sometimes it can be something as simple as a man's jawline or the curve of his smile. Of course, there are men who have a timelessness about them, and I can't imagine not capturing that look.
How do you choose your subjects?
I look for a confidence and playfulness in the models that I work with. They can't be afraid of expressing themselves and their sexuality. When I meet men that I want to work with, I see the way the light hits them, and it resonates for me. It's like bell chimes in my head and I can just see them in my scenarios before ever picking up my camera.
How do you describe your work?
My work is really a mix. Artistically, my black-and-whites tend to be classic, strong images exposing men on a variety of emotional levels. I've also been doing a collection called "Candy Shoppe," which is very stylized with an emphasis on color, texture, vibrancy, and sexuality, both serious and playful.
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 34 min 32 sec ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 1 hour 33 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM