Artist Spotlight: Ryan Colford
BY Albert Smith
March 13 2010 7:35 AM ET
What makes a good photograph to you?
I think deep in my heart I'm always trying to create that indelible image that will be remembered forever. Look at the shot of the sailor kissing the woman in Times Square on the cover of Life. Everybody remembers that shot because of the intense emotion. That's the type of photograph I think is good. Of course, everyone also remembers the Memorex shot of the guy having his hair blasted back. You can't be afraid to have fun too. It's all about a certain intensity and having "it." You can't really describe what "it" is, but everyone knows it when they see it.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
That's easy. Greg Gorman and Dave LaChapelle. Greg is such an amazing, prolific photographer. His work just grabs me instantly. His high-contrast work is so evocative. I think he is one of the most talented photographers I've ever had the fortune to meet. Dave is vibrant and fun and irreverent. Having studied with Warhol, what can you expect but an imaginative and supertalented photographer?
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM