Artist Spotlight: Ryan Colford
BY Albert Smith
March 13 2010 7:35 AM ET
What makes a good photograph to you?
I think deep in my heart I'm always trying to create that indelible image that will be remembered forever. Look at the shot of the sailor kissing the woman in Times Square on the cover of Life. Everybody remembers that shot because of the intense emotion. That's the type of photograph I think is good. Of course, everyone also remembers the Memorex shot of the guy having his hair blasted back. You can't be afraid to have fun too. It's all about a certain intensity and having "it." You can't really describe what "it" is, but everyone knows it when they see it.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
That's easy. Greg Gorman and Dave LaChapelle. Greg is such an amazing, prolific photographer. His work just grabs me instantly. His high-contrast work is so evocative. I think he is one of the most talented photographers I've ever had the fortune to meet. Dave is vibrant and fun and irreverent. Having studied with Warhol, what can you expect but an imaginative and supertalented photographer?
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- Wyoming Won't Appeal Marriage Equality
- Obama: Constitution 'Does Guarantee Same-Sex Marriage in All 50 States'