Artist Spotlight: Ryan Colford
BY Albert Smith
March 13 2010 7:35 AM ET
What makes a good photograph to you?
I think deep in my heart I'm always trying to create that indelible image that will be remembered forever. Look at the shot of the sailor kissing the woman in Times Square on the cover of Life. Everybody remembers that shot because of the intense emotion. That's the type of photograph I think is good. Of course, everyone also remembers the Memorex shot of the guy having his hair blasted back. You can't be afraid to have fun too. It's all about a certain intensity and having "it." You can't really describe what "it" is, but everyone knows it when they see it.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
That's easy. Greg Gorman and Dave LaChapelle. Greg is such an amazing, prolific photographer. His work just grabs me instantly. His high-contrast work is so evocative. I think he is one of the most talented photographers I've ever had the fortune to meet. Dave is vibrant and fun and irreverent. Having studied with Warhol, what can you expect but an imaginative and supertalented photographer?
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist
- A Letter to My Partners
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 16 min 40 sec ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 23 min 29 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 26 min 30 sec ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 1 hour 48 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 2 hours 2 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 2 hours 14 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 2 hours 17 min ago