Kim Christy's Lost World
BY Christopher Harrity
February 12 2011 5:00 AM ET
You’re not in this picture?
No, these are pictures from my archives. I have thousands documenting this whole period, the golden age of drag. This is at Daisy Dee’s. She threw yearly extravaganzas on Thanksgiving. They were a huge deal. Girls would spend weeks getting their drag together. It was all very formal and the guys would dress in suits and tuxedos. On the left, looking at the camera, is 42nd Street Josie. She was quite the little prostitute — but she could always tell you what tricks not to go with — she knew which ones were cops, psychos. Psycho cops. She’s not smiling for two reasons. One is that Carl Houston, with the blond wig sitting at the other end of the sofa, is getting all the attention. Carl was a big female impersonator — the class thing again. The other reason she is not smiling is that she had terrible teeth! Like a box of broken dominoes!
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- World Record Bodybuilder Comes Out as Trans
- Brokeback Mountain: The 10th Anniversary of a Gay Classic
- 10 Things People Living With HIV Are Sick of Hearing
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Queer Women in Their 30s Give Advice to Their 20-Something Selves