Kim Christy's Lost World
BY Christopher Harrity
February 12 2011 5:00 AM ET
Wow. Thick makeup!
That is for the stage, my dear. Tammy Novak was a respected female impersonator — high up on the food chain. A hairdresser. Also a great-looking guy. He had as many admirers in boy drag as he did in she-drag.
So he didn’t hook?
Oh, well. All of us did once in a while. There was a symbiotic relationship between the stage and the street. The street gave you a great dress rehearsal to see what worked, what didn’t, if you could pass or not. And if you actually had talent and made a success on the stage, you could command high prices.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- #TBT: Halloween Exhibitionism
- WATCH: Kansas Gov. Stands Behind Marriage Ban, Decries 'Liberal Judges'