Kim Christy's Lost World
BY Christopher Harrity
February 12 2011 5:00 AM ET
This is Crystal LaBeija in The Queens [1967 documentary about a drag contest], right?
Yes, she made a fabulous scene in that film when she lost. She came in as third runner-up in the ’67 Nationals — a big drag contest. She stormed off the stage — but not in the wings, oh, no. She went down the stairs to the center aisle and all the way through the audience to the front of the theater, swinging her hips big-time. The announcer is all, “Will the contestant PLEASE come back to the stage!”
Were you in the film?
Oh, yes. But don’t blink. Here’s what happened. I was “hired” to be in the chorus. I wasn’t running as a contestant or anything. That wasn’t my thing. Rich boyfriends, that was my thing. Plus I liked to be in a show as long as they paid well. There was a scene in Bertha’s Costume Rental and we were all there to get fitted. I had to be a little careful because I lied and didn’t tell them I was 17. But all the girls lied. I mean, really! Then I found out we weren't being paid! We were supposed to be happy just with being in the film. Imagine.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- Op-ed: Are Millennials More Racist Than Antigay?
- First Gay Couple to Wed at West Point Turns Tables on Antigay Attacker
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- WATCH: Indiana Town Postpones LGBT Rights Vote Over Confusion