BY Advocate Contributors
March 18 2011 7:55 PM ET
Aspiring photographer Andrew Oldershaw takes a break from his day job to have some fun with the camera and share his favorite photo of the week with Advocate.com. Check out last week's photo here.
I always try, in my portrait work, to capture a moment or a feeling or an expression that communicates more than just the contours of a face or shape of a physical gesture. In a new portrait series project that I’m calling “A Thousand Words,” I thought I’d try something even more overt – to incorporate quotes and phrases into the photography and communicate something a little more powerful than a gaze or a pose can suggest about someone. I spend a few minutes interviewing my subject before the shoot, asking really personal questions about dreams and joys, and fears and failures. Then I chose some favorite images from the shoot and paired them with some favorite words from our conversation. The result is this new series, and today’s image is one of my first favorites from this project. He was a very easy model to shoot, and something about this particular image paired with this particular quote from him makes for what I think is a pretty electric and thoughtful visual moment.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club 15 min 28 sec ago
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 2 hours 4 min ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 2 hours 40 min ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 2 hours 42 min ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 6:51 PM
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 6:20 PM
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM