Golden States of Grace
BY Christopher Harrity
January 14 2012 5:00 AM ET
Rick Nahmias is a photographer, writer, and visual storyteller whose work has been shown across North America, Europe, and Asia. He creates social issue–themed media projects for foundations, nonprofits, corporations, and cause-driven organizations.
Golden States of Grace: Prayers of the Disinherited was recently published by University of New Mexico Press. His body of work exploring California's agricultural workforce, The Migrant Project: Contemporary California Farm Workers, was also published by UNM Press and chosen by Grist.org as a favorite book of 2010. The companion exhibitions of his books have toured to over four dozen museums, universities, and cultural centers across the country.
His images and writing have been profiled and published in national newspapers, journals, blogs, and newsweeklies such as Newsweek, the Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, The Huffington Post, and Gastronomica. His work has been presented on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives, is part of the permanent collection of the National Museum of American History at the Smithsonian, and resides in several private and public collections across the country.
His work has been funded by the Durfee Foundation, the Columbia Foundation, and the Pew Charitable Trusts, among others. He was an invited speaker at the 2011 TEDx Conference in Los Angeles, where shared his innovative combination of visual storytelling and activism. He is founder and executive director of the award-winning antihunger nonprofit Food Forward and is a graduate of New York University.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 1 hour 18 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 2 hours 13 min ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM