Golden States of Grace
BY Christopher Harrity
January 14 2012 4:00 AM ET
Rick Nahmias is a photographer, writer, and visual storyteller whose work has been shown across North America, Europe, and Asia. He creates social issue–themed media projects for foundations, nonprofits, corporations, and cause-driven organizations.
Golden States of Grace: Prayers of the Disinherited was recently published by University of New Mexico Press. His body of work exploring California's agricultural workforce, The Migrant Project: Contemporary California Farm Workers, was also published by UNM Press and chosen by Grist.org as a favorite book of 2010. The companion exhibitions of his books have toured to over four dozen museums, universities, and cultural centers across the country.
His images and writing have been profiled and published in national newspapers, journals, blogs, and newsweeklies such as Newsweek, the Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, The Huffington Post, and Gastronomica. His work has been presented on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives, is part of the permanent collection of the National Museum of American History at the Smithsonian, and resides in several private and public collections across the country.
His work has been funded by the Durfee Foundation, the Columbia Foundation, and the Pew Charitable Trusts, among others. He was an invited speaker at the 2011 TEDx Conference in Los Angeles, where shared his innovative combination of visual storytelling and activism. He is founder and executive director of the award-winning antihunger nonprofit Food Forward and is a graduate of New York University.
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 1 hour 43 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM