Amos Mac Reintroduces the Zine
BY Josh Hinkle
February 27 2012 4:00 AM ET
Being a creative child surrounded by photos started Mac’s love for the art.
“I have always deeply appreciated photographic images, the way that it captures our history,” he said.
Mac has photographed the likes of Margaret Cho, Justin
Vivian Bond, Rocco “Katastrophe” and Zackary Drucker. While he has
photographed these types of mainstream artists, Mac says he is
typically more drawn to “photographing people who are kind of
His photography of these underground individuals sprouted an original publication called Original Plumbing. It targets trans men and is created and
independently published by Mac and Rocco Kayiatos. Mac and Kayiatos
gather their stories in a variety of ways, accepting original submissions via the zine’s website and by reaching out to writers
in the trans community. The models used in the magazine are found
through submissions, but some are found by Kayiatos as he tours the
country with his music.
artistic magazine," Mac said. "It creates a space that goes beyond the typical
transition blogs online. Print media means a lot to me. I
wouldn’t have it any other way than print."
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 10 min 50 sec ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 15 min 46 sec ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 24 min 38 sec ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 28 min 57 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 38 min 23 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 42 min 37 sec ago
- Television WATCH: The Super Trailer for RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 1 hour 32 min ago