PHOTOS: The Two Worlds of Leon Eldridge
BY Advocate Contributors
September 19 2013 4:00 AM ET
Leon Eldridge talks with Stephanie Boyd, the owner of Belly's Cafe.
Eldridge says he has known Stephanie Boyd, the owner of Belly's Cafe, where he works in Lubbock, since he was 16 when he was sneaking into bars and causing other mischief.
"She was always kind of a mother figure or an aunt figure," Eldridge says. "She always kind of made sure I wasn't going insane and took care of me and kept an eye out for me when I was young and naive."
Eldridge says she is also the person who introduced him to the Metropolitan Community Church and asked him to sing there.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown