PHOTOS: Alaska Is for Lovers
BY Christopher Harrity
January 14 2014 7:00 AM ET
Stephen and Keegan Fritts
Although Alaska is unlike anywhere else in the country, love there looks like it does just about any place.
But what photographers Mitch Kitter and Shalem Mathew really set out to prove with the launch of the "Love Is Love" project in the summer of 2012 is even simpler — that love is love, no matter if you are straight or LGBT.
They photographed 28 same-sex couples from all over Alaska while filmmaker April Frame recorded video, conducted interviews, and compiled a video that is sure to leave you misty eyed. (Check out a preview of the film on the last page.) At their gallery opening October 5, more than 760 Alaskans came to show their support. Even Sen. Lisa Murkowski sent the artists a note about the project after announcing her support for the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act.
Now the project's organizers want to launch "More Love to More People" with a photo book featuring LGBT couples and families all over the United States. This year they will take the project on the road, visiting Utah, Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. Through their campaign on Kickstarter, if they reach their goals, the team will photograph couples in the Midwest in May, and the South in November.
Check out some of their stunning photos from Alaska on the following pages.
Casey Griffith and Adam Womble
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 13 min 50 sec ago
- Music Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia 17 min 37 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues 19 min 31 sec ago
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 1 hour 6 min ago
- Religion Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People 1 hour 20 min ago
- Travel Drag Race: NASCAR's Biggest Gay Fan on the Vegas Cup Race 1 hour 23 min ago
- Television Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2 1 hour 30 min ago