In the Galleries: Inframen
BY Christopher Harrity
January 15 2014 9:00 AM ET
A biography from the artist:
Nir Arieli launched his career as a military photographer for the Israeli magazine Bamachane before receiving a scholarship to pursue a BFA at New York’s School of Visual Arts; he graduated with honors. Nir's photographic passion is within the portraiture and dance fields. He is an admirer of beauty and gentleness; these qualities are the heart of his work.
Nir received the Silas H. Rhodes Scholarship (2009-2012), SVA's Photography Department Award (2009, 2011), and the 5th Year Award from Gotham Imaging and FotoCare (2012). He was chosen as one of the 2013 talents to watch by Next magazine, won first place in the PDN Faces portrait contest, and received the Curator Award in the Rolling Shutter Film Festival (both 2012). Nir was nominated for the Tierney Fellowship (2012) and PDN’s 30 New and Emerging Photographers (2013), was a finalist in the Google Photography Prize (2012) as well as in W magazine's In a Fashion Minute Video Contest (2010), and a semifinalist in the Adobe Design Achievement Awards (2012). His work has been published and exhibited in the USA, Europe and Israel, and his New York clients include the Juilliard School, the Alvin Ailey school, the School of Visual Arts, Time Out NY, Pontus Lidberg Dance, MADboots dance, Company XIV, and the People Movers Dance Company, among others.
Nir is represented in New York City by Daniel Cooney Fine Art gallery and in North Carolina by MoNA gallery. For assignments, prints purchases and other inquiries: NirArieli.com.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 21 min 52 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 36 min 15 sec ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 56 min 45 sec ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM