PHOTOS: Remembering The Birth of Pride
BY Jamie Scot
June 12 2013 5:00 AM ET
Artifacts of Early Activism
LGBT protesters picket the ABC offices concerning the broadcast of the Marcus Welby, M.D., episode "The Outrage." The demonstration was one of many over the misrepresentation of LGBT people by the media.
Gaby front cover and inside pages: Behavior modification product manual advertising electroshock therapy devices used to treat homosexuals in the 1950s, property of ONE National Gay and Lesbian Archives.
One of the "Fagots [sic] Stay Out" signs that instigated the Gay Liberation Front protests against Barney's Beanery. 1969.
Gay Liberation Front protest on the streets regarding the first gay pride parade permits, June 1970
"Let Every Pansy Bloom" banner at the San Francisco Gay Freedom Day pride parade, June 25, 1978
- Mormon Church: Let's Make a Deal on LGBT Antidiscrimination Law
- Amid Marriage Standoff, Alabama Lawmaker Threatens to Out Cheating Colleagues
- Meet the Gay Bear Nerds Hoping to Bring Down Jeb Bush
- Op-ed: Male Gays and the Male Gaze
- A Best-Case, Worst-Case Look at the Supreme Court's Options
- Op-ed: Madonna, My Father, and a Life Outside a Tiny Island