PHOTOS: Global Activism and Celebrity Support
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 08 2013 9:50 AM ET
Indian transgender women perform at a seminar for the transgender community Thursday in Mumbai. For India's LGBT community, the joy that greeted the 2009 court ruling legalizing gay sex is tempered by the fact that, although the law now accepts them, society still does not. For all the celebrations and talk of a historic milestone, many believe it will take more than a court decision to change public attitudes; homosexuality is largely taboo in India and considered by many to be a mental illness.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6