PHOTOS: Global Activism and Celebrity Support
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 08 2013 10:50 AM ET
Indian transgender women perform at a seminar for the transgender community Thursday in Mumbai. For India's LGBT community, the joy that greeted the 2009 court ruling legalizing gay sex is tempered by the fact that, although the law now accepts them, society still does not. For all the celebrations and talk of a historic milestone, many believe it will take more than a court decision to change public attitudes; homosexuality is largely taboo in India and considered by many to be a mental illness.
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'
- WATCH: Gay Dream Team of Michael Urie, Randy Harrison in Such Good People
- This Black Trans Man Is in Prison for Killing His Rapist
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House