PHOTOS: Global Activism and Celebrity Support
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 08 2013 10:50 AM ET
Indian transgender women perform at a seminar for the transgender community Thursday in Mumbai. For India's LGBT community, the joy that greeted the 2009 court ruling legalizing gay sex is tempered by the fact that, although the law now accepts them, society still does not. For all the celebrations and talk of a historic milestone, many believe it will take more than a court decision to change public attitudes; homosexuality is largely taboo in India and considered by many to be a mental illness.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- 12 Celebrities Who Lovingly Embrace Their LGBT Children