PHOTOS: Thousands March With Pride in Taipei
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 28 2013 12:40 PM ET
Tens of thousands of LGBT people and their friends and allies rallied in Taipei Saturday in celebration of pride and support of marriage equality in Taiwan.
The Taiwanese legislature began debating legislation Friday that would bring marriage equality to the island nation. The proposed law enjoys the support of 53 percent of the public, according to Reuters.
Saturday's pride parade was the 11th annual event, marked by an abundance of glitter, rainbows, and, of course, scantily clad revelers.
Reuters noted that while Taiwan still holds some traditional Chinese family values, the nation includes LGBT people in its nondiscrimination protections and students receive LGBT-inclusive sexual education in primary schools.
"Compared to other Asian countries, we're more open," said Meico Tsai, a spokeswoman for the annual celebration, told Reuters. "But we still have a long way to go."
Watch video below, and take a closer look at Taipei's pride celebration in the photos on the following pages.
A celebrant gets "funky" during the annual LGBT pride parade Saturday in Taipei.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM