PHOTOS: Thousands March With Pride in Taipei
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 28 2013 11:40 AM ET
Tens of thousands of LGBT people and their friends and allies rallied in Taipei Saturday in celebration of pride and support of marriage equality in Taiwan.
The Taiwanese legislature began debating legislation Friday that would bring marriage equality to the island nation. The proposed law enjoys the support of 53 percent of the public, according to Reuters.
Saturday's pride parade was the 11th annual event, marked by an abundance of glitter, rainbows, and, of course, scantily clad revelers.
Reuters noted that while Taiwan still holds some traditional Chinese family values, the nation includes LGBT people in its nondiscrimination protections and students receive LGBT-inclusive sexual education in primary schools.
"Compared to other Asian countries, we're more open," said Meico Tsai, a spokeswoman for the annual celebration, told Reuters. "But we still have a long way to go."
Watch video below, and take a closer look at Taipei's pride celebration in the photos on the following pages.
A celebrant gets "funky" during the annual LGBT pride parade Saturday in Taipei.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 2 hours 4 min ago
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 2 hours 17 min ago
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 3:36 PM
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 3:17 PM
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 2:47 PM
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 2:41 PM