Happily Ever After
BY Dan Avery
October 28 2008 12:00 AM ET
What’s your take on the various initiatives
threatening to ban gay marriage, like Prop. 8 in
California and Prop. 2 in Florida? Well, I’m not usually a political person,
but I think marriage is a wonderful institution that
should be available to everyone, straight or gay. No
one’s telling people they have to accept it or have
it in their church. But it’s a basic right.
Are you married? My partner and I got married in Vermont five
years ago. We’ve been together for 10. It was a
great little black-tie ceremony with 120 people. But
it made me have a new appreciation for planning a ceremony.
It’s a lot more stressful when it’s your own
Gay weddings are still a relatively new phenomenon.
How do we create our own traditions? I’ve done lots of gay weddings and
ceremonies, and I think sometimes we try to hard to
make our ceremonies unique. Everyone wants their wedding
to be special, but I don’t understand why people
think gay weddings should be in this separate
category. To me that’s saying we’re not the
same or we’re not acceptable. Why can’t we go
down the traditional road, with the Wedding March and
the whole nine yards? The only difference in a gay
wedding should be the fashions.
Any words of advice for gay couples planning to say
"I do"? Don’t fixate on whether Aunt Gertrude or
someone is going to be uncomfortable with it being a
gay wedding. If you pull the reins back or worry, it
becomes contagious. And then everyone gets uncomfortable.
It’s your day -- just do what would make you
If you could plan any gay celebrity wedding, who
would it be -- Clay Aiken? Neil Patrick Harris? Actually, I’d love to plan Lindsay Lohan
and Samantha Ronson's wedding.
My Fair Wedding
airs on WE TV Sundays at 10 p.m.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM