Happily Ever After
BY Dan Avery
October 27 2008 11:00 PM ET
What’s your take on the various initiatives
threatening to ban gay marriage, like Prop. 8 in
California and Prop. 2 in Florida? Well, I’m not usually a political person,
but I think marriage is a wonderful institution that
should be available to everyone, straight or gay. No
one’s telling people they have to accept it or have
it in their church. But it’s a basic right.
Are you married? My partner and I got married in Vermont five
years ago. We’ve been together for 10. It was a
great little black-tie ceremony with 120 people. But
it made me have a new appreciation for planning a ceremony.
It’s a lot more stressful when it’s your own
Gay weddings are still a relatively new phenomenon.
How do we create our own traditions? I’ve done lots of gay weddings and
ceremonies, and I think sometimes we try to hard to
make our ceremonies unique. Everyone wants their wedding
to be special, but I don’t understand why people
think gay weddings should be in this separate
category. To me that’s saying we’re not the
same or we’re not acceptable. Why can’t we go
down the traditional road, with the Wedding March and
the whole nine yards? The only difference in a gay
wedding should be the fashions.
Any words of advice for gay couples planning to say
"I do"? Don’t fixate on whether Aunt Gertrude or
someone is going to be uncomfortable with it being a
gay wedding. If you pull the reins back or worry, it
becomes contagious. And then everyone gets uncomfortable.
It’s your day -- just do what would make you
If you could plan any gay celebrity wedding, who
would it be -- Clay Aiken? Neil Patrick Harris? Actually, I’d love to plan Lindsay Lohan
and Samantha Ronson's wedding.
My Fair Wedding
airs on WE TV Sundays at 10 p.m.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM