Here Come the Brides
BY Michael Fairman
February 12 2009 1:00 AM ET
Some fans were upset when it appeared that Reese
might consider leaving Bianca for a man. She is not considering it. That’s the
audience rewriting what’s there. It’s
not being written that way at all. Reese has never wavered
in what she wants.
Even though Reese had a boyfriend in the past, whom
we met on-air? Yes, but she was very clear about that. The
reason she did not marry him is because she felt she
was lying and going through the motions of what her
family told her to do. And when she did come out as a
lesbian, it was right before she was ready to make a
commitment to this man. We have had in-depth scenes
with the people who care about Bianca, being sure she was
not someone to get Reese out of a bad relationship.
It’s never been about that. I don’t know
how to stress this more. Never has she played a moment
of, “I want Zach more than I want Bianca," or "I
would leave Bianca for Zach.” He has literally
just been a friend. Look, we tantalize in this genre.
We do it whether we do it with heterosexual or homosexual
couples. It’s what the genre is.
If you were looking for conflict, did you consider
a story where another woman tantalized Reese, having
that be the thorn in their side? We are
working within a canvas of people who are interrelated
and connected. For our audience, it’s always more
powerful if it is someone you know well and would
least expect. If we brought in a character out of
nowhere, they would worry about Bianca, but they would
not be invested in Reese at all, particularly now with Zach
being the donor (for Bianca's baby with Reese). It
complicates it in a delicious way.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 11 min 1 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 23 min 34 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 37 min 12 sec ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former Catholic School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 37 min 17 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 38 min 43 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 50 min 5 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 1 hour 5 min ago