Kings and Queens
BY Dan Avery
March 13 2009 12:00 AM ET
With all of the
personal betrayals and courtly intrigues, it would be
easy to think that
Kings, NBC's new mid-season drama, takes its inspiration from one of
Shakespeare's great plays. After all, the show boasts a tragic
king with upstart children, a conniving queen, and a nation
exhausted by war.
But the show, which
debuts with a two-hour movie on Sunday, is based on
considerably older source material -- the biblical saga of King
David. "I've always been interested in the story of
David," says series creator Michael Green. "He goes
from being a simple shepherd to the king of an entire nation.
There's so much dramatic potential in that story."
In Gilboa, a
postindustrialized country with modern technology and a newly
formed monarchy, King Silas Benjamin (Deadwood
's Ian McShane) wears a heavy crown. Conflict with the
neighboring Gath continues unabated, thwarting his efforts to
bring his people into a new peaceful era. When Silas's son
Jack (Sebastian Stan) is taken hostage on the frontlines, the
future of Gilboa and its reining clan is thrown into jeopardy.
But a daring rescue by a young soldier named David Shepherd
(Christopher Egan) restores order and links the inexperienced
country boy's destiny with that of the royal family.
With its Old Testament
origins and religious undertones -- King Silas seeks counsel
from both the Almighty and the enigmatic Reverend Samuels (Oz
's Eamonn Walker) --
could be pushing the well-established division between church
and state on the small screen.
assumption that you can't put religion on television,"
Green says, "but we showed it to religious people and the
response was overwhelmingly positive." The show walks a
fine line, he adds, neither proselytizing nor condemning faith
but "showing how religion can be a factor in the choices
people make, for better or worse."
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Dallas Councilwoman Objects to "Homosexual Conduct" in HIV Testing Billboard
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- TV Mastermind Jane Espenson: From to to Evil Queens
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 6 min 49 sec ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 34 min 35 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 40 min 41 sec ago
- Entertainment News EXCLUSIVE: Madonna's MDNA Concert Clip 1 hour 23 min ago
- Politics Dallas Councilwoman Objects to Gay HIV Billboard 2 hours 18 min ago
- Marriage Equality Arizona: Org. Files for Marriage Equality Ballot Initiative 2 hours 29 min ago
- Business Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market 2 hours 30 min ago