Kings and Queens
BY Dan Avery
March 13 2009 12:00 AM ET
Some viewers may
perceive the hard-partying scion as an outdated queer
cliché, but Green disagrees.
"I'm not aware
enough of gay stereotypes to make fun of them," he says.
"Jack's playboy lifestyle isn't about his being
gay, it's about his being the prince and having everything he
wants handed to him. There's something corrupting about
Jack is a complicated,
multifaceted character, Green says, noting, "He
might've had a very different life if he was born into a
different family." For all his debauchery, for example,
Jack is a first-rate soldier -- Green's little dig at
'don't ask, don't tell.'
"I thought about
the Israeli army, where they don't care if you're gay
or straight, just that you can fight," he explains.
"There are plenty of countries that allow gays in the
military -- it's ridiculous that we're still squabbling
over it here."
In any event, Green
hopes viewers don't fixate on whom Jack sleeps with. "My
job was to create the most interesting, fully developed
character I could. Obviously, some people will see Jack's
sexuality as the crux of the character, but my assumption is
that most of us are over that issue. It's hardly the most
interesting thing about him."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: Human Sexuality Is More Than Gay And Straight
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 17 min 14 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 2 hours 46 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 4:00 AM
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM