Jeremy Irons Revisits Brideshead
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 08 2009 12:00 AM ET
You've never been one to shy away from controversial subject
come to mind. Why do you think audiences so often equate
controversy with sexuality?
Controversy is often caused by sexuality, since sex remains
still somewhat of a forbidden fruit for many audiences. It is,
after all, something most of us keep quite private, and
probably rightly so. However, I see no reason to shy away from
any subject that film storytelling should discuss.
probably caused the most controversy, but since it is a classic
work, and beautifully made, I have no regrets.
You're back on Broadway, working with Joan Allen in a play
about art -- and you just wrapped a film with her about the
life of Georgia O'Keeffe. Have you two bonded over
art, or is it just coincidence?
It is pure coincidence that both the O'Keefe film and
are set around the art world, as it is that in both I play
opposite Joan Allen. A happy coincidence since she happens to
be one of America's most interesting actors, and a wonderful
person to boot.
What's next for you?
When the run of
ends I hope to go back to film for the rest of the year. I have
a few projects lining up, though with the current economy,
which affects film financing as much as anything, I shall be
interested to see what makes it through.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 22 min 34 sec ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 1 hour 21 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM