Jeremy Irons Revisits Brideshead
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 08 2009 12:00 AM ET
You've never been one to shy away from controversial subject
come to mind. Why do you think audiences so often equate
controversy with sexuality?
Controversy is often caused by sexuality, since sex remains
still somewhat of a forbidden fruit for many audiences. It is,
after all, something most of us keep quite private, and
probably rightly so. However, I see no reason to shy away from
any subject that film storytelling should discuss.
probably caused the most controversy, but since it is a classic
work, and beautifully made, I have no regrets.
You're back on Broadway, working with Joan Allen in a play
about art -- and you just wrapped a film with her about the
life of Georgia O'Keeffe. Have you two bonded over
art, or is it just coincidence?
It is pure coincidence that both the O'Keefe film and
are set around the art world, as it is that in both I play
opposite Joan Allen. A happy coincidence since she happens to
be one of America's most interesting actors, and a wonderful
person to boot.
What's next for you?
When the run of
ends I hope to go back to film for the rest of the year. I have
a few projects lining up, though with the current economy,
which affects film financing as much as anything, I shall be
interested to see what makes it through.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 1 hour 39 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM