Jonathan Slavin: Better Off Out
BY Brandon Voss
April 21 2009 12:00 AM ET
Because you worked on Summerland with Jesse McCartney and Zac Efron, are you allowed to find them hot now?
No! And I'm completely freaked out when people make them sex symbols. Leave them alone! Those are still little boys to me. Now Zac is this shirtless sex symbol? That child is 15 years old! Because I certainly haven't gotten any older since Summerland, so why would they have?
How do you feel toward actors who remain closeted?
It's certainly no way to win the revolution. It's the same way I am about being a vegan: I don't go to a dinner party and tell people what they're eating is bad, but I just try to be an example by the way that I live my life.
Which openly gay actor do you look up to most?
When I was a little kid living in Wilkes-Barre, Penn., I thought I was the only person who had the feelings that I had, and I would pray and pray that they would be taken away from me because I couldn't imagine living my life this alone. Then I read an interview with Terry Sweeney when he started doing Saturday Night Live, and he talked about how he told the producers when they hired him that he had a husband and wasn't going to pretend that he didn't. I had a moment of release, and it made me feel less alone. I know I should say something like, "Nathan Lane is great," but I will always remember that Terry Sweeney said that in People magazine, which I read furtively because it was weird for a little kid to read People magazine.
I read on various online sources that you're actually married to David Boreanaz's sister. Are you sure you're not a closeted heterosexual, Jonathan?
I worked with David, and he said, "Hey, my brother-in-law's name is Jonathan Slavin. I've never met another Jonathan Slavin." I was like, "Oh, weird." All of a sudden, it appeared on my IMDb page and my Wikipedia page that I was married to David's sister. I keep telling these sites that I've been married for almost 15 years to a guy named Michael, but it's hard to get those things corrected. It's kind of upsetting to me, and it doesn't thrill my husband either, to be perfectly honest. Until I can get it changed, I guess I'll just have to act as gay as possible so that no one thinks it's actually true.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 26 min 39 sec ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 1 hour 8 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 1 hour 13 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 31 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2:18 PM
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM