BY Michael Fairman
April 21 2009 12:00 AM ET
Last Friday, former
star Jamie Luner made her first appearance on
All My Children
as the updated and saucy new version of one of Pine Valley's
favorite vixens -- Liza Colby. And quite an entrance
it was: having sex on a casino gaming table with Zach Slater
(Thorsten Kaye) -- and that's just the start of the
revitalized Liza. Seems the gal will be back to her man-eating
tricks, so the Martin boys and any other eligible -- or
ineligible -- gents better watch out. With the stunning male
to play with, Luner knows she is in for one hell of a ride.
The show's head
writer Chuck Pratt, who wrote for the siren during her two
brought Luner to
. In a recent
interview he touted her arrival to the soap: "Back then,
Jamie's nickname on the set was 'Turbo' because she's such a
ball of energy and you can throw anything at her."
With high expectations
and a huge promotional campaign, the ABC sudser is hoping to
regain some viewers by returning the character to her scheming
ways. For many years, the wonderful Marcy Walker played the
role of Liza. Walker is now a children's ministry director in a
North Carolina church, a far cry from the role that made her a
star. Luner is taking a fresh approach to the role with a
no-holds-barred, take-no-prisoners outlook.
In this new interview
with Advocate.com, Luner gives us a sneak peek at Liza's hot
new story and her new adventures in daytime!
Advocate.com:When we first saw Liza on Friday's episode, you had a
"quickie" with a very well-known Pine Valley citizen,
Zach Slater!Jamie Luner:
I do sleep with Zach, and lucky me!
And if you're going to start at
, you might as well go for the top.
AMChead writer Chuck Pratt and you worked together before on
. He wrote the prime-time soap, and you starred as Lexi. So,
how did that figure into the equation of you getting the role
of Liza Colby?
They say it's cliché, but timing is everything. I had
put a phone call into Chuck and he actually answered his phone
at that moment, which was bizarre. I said, "It's Jamie."
And he goes, "Oh, my God! How did you get my number and what
do you want?" I said, "I was reaching out and wanted to see
you and grab a cup of coffee." He said he would call me back.
So a couple of hours later he called and said to me, "You
don't know how weird your timing is. I was just on a pitch
meeting phone call, and they were trying to figure out how to
recast the role of Liza and you called!" It's really weird.
And then the people in the pitch meeting were like, "Oh, my
God! She would be perfect." So they asked me to lunch. I met
with Brian Frons (president of ABC Daytime and SOAPnet) and
Chuck. They told me the backstory, and it was certainly a
character that was right up my alley. It certainly was a good
fit as far as the timing in my life. I was certainly ready for
a change and move. The timing was perfect all around and it was
meant to be.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 2 hours 25 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM