BY Brandon Voss
June 04 2009 11:00 PM ET
Do you feel any pressure to represent the gay community respectfully?Yes, I do. That's why I really want them to explore a personal relationship; otherwise, I feel like it's chickening out. If I'm going to have this coming-out story line, I don't want it to then get dropped away because they're shy about exploring a gay relationship. We've gotten into all kinds of discussions about how we were going to proceed with Charlie, because, knowing my friend's situation, I felt there were places where we weren't being truthful. I was very concerned that it would become a sort of gimmick.
What sort of feedback have you gotten about Charlie's coming-out?I've had a really positive response. People have come up to me and said they love the character or it's their favorite character on the show. A lot of that has to do with the fact that he's one of the more complicated characters on the show, so he's more compelling. But I don't hear from that many people because I live on a tiny island in middle of nowhere off the coast of Vancouver, so I was out of the country the whole time the show was airing. This season I'll actually be around when it starts airing because we'll still be shooting.
The other big change in season 2 is that Mark-Paul has chopped off his long mane. Do you prefer the new do or the old do?I'm definitely a fan of the new do.
Were you a fan of Mark-Paul from his Saved by the Bell days?No. [ Laughs ] I was already working back then.
You played Greg Louganis's boyfriend Keith in the 1997 TV movie Breaking the Surface: The Greg Louganis Story, which starred Mario López as Louganis. What was it like to play Mario's love interest?It was hilarious. Yeah, how weird is that? Two times that I've played a gay character and it's been opposite someone from Saved by the Bell ? Mario's a very, very sweet guy, but he always struck me as more of a jock than an actor. I don't know what else to say, because I don't want to say anything bad about the guy. [ Laughs ] Actually, the best part of that job was getting to meet Greg Louganis, because he was a lovely guy.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM