Haaz Sleiman: Jackie's Strength
BY Brandon Voss
June 15 2009 12:00 AM ET
Ever since you were cast as Mo-Mo, there have been discussions in the blogosphere about your own sexuality. Have you found that people now seem more interested in whether or not you're gay in real life?
I don't really read blogs, so I don't know what's being said. That's never come up, but it's not something that would bother me if it did. It's all about doing good work, and the stuff that comes with it afterward, it is all fun.
But for the sake of satisfying curiosity once and for all, you're straight, right?
Do you have a girlfriend?
Yes, she lives in New York. She's very supportive and can't wait to see that kiss that I told you about.
Let's talk about your first major movie, out writer-director Maurice Jamal's 2004 urban gay romantic comedy The Ski Trip.
[Laughs] I knew that was going to come up at some point. What do you want to know?
How do you look back at that experience?
It was a great experience. I was very excited to work on it, I learned a lot, and it was a lot of fun. At the time I hadn't done much acting, and the part was really something different for me, so I just threw myself in there and had a ball. But it's kind of like when you look back at outfits from the '80s or a picture of yourself when you were 13: You look back, like, "Oh, my God, what was I thinking?" [Laughs] But I'm still in touch with Maurice every now and then.
How did it feel to be that film's shirtless beefcake?
I just hated that I couldn't eat, because I had to keep my abs looking good. That was the worst part. Other than that, I was like, "C'mon, take it off!"
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 1 hour 14 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 2 hours 14 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM