BY Jason Lamphier
September 10 2009 6:05 AM ET
If Bravo is TV’s reigning dynasty for drama-loving gays, then this season’s hit series The Real Housewives of Atlanta is its golden child. And the show can thank one Housewife in particular for its triumphant track record: the gloriously outspoken NeNe Leakes. We went behind the scenes of this month’s cover story photo shoot to catch up with the unpredictable Georgia peach, who just released her memoir, Never Make the Same Mistake Twice, and announced she used to be a stripper. Her eyes poppin’ and lips bustin’, Leakes talks about her gay husband Dwight, her dislike for fellow Housewife and former BFF Kim Zolciak, and her crush on a certain CNN silver fox.
Advocate.com: Is there a question you’re afraid I might ask?
NeNe Leakes: I’m an open book. You can ask me anything, viewers can ask me anything. It doesn’t matter. I have thick skin. Just don’t be mad at my answer.
What did you think of the first episode of The Real Housewives of Atlanta, when Sheree got into a row with her party planner, Anthony?
I was just as surprised as you were. First of all, my gay husband, Dwight, came over and gave me a fantastic crawl, darling. I love that. As for Sheree? Drama! Sheree and I don’t always agree, but I have to be on her side on this one. Naturally, it’s her party, so you do what she says. She hired Anthony to do the job, whether it was for free or not. It doesn’t matter.
Can we expect any explosive moments from you this season?
I’m kinda quiet. Just kidding, honey! You really need to laugh at that. I still try to mend things with Sheree and Kim, but some things stay and some go. Some are done forever.
How are you doing with Kim?
Kim is Kim. I don’t expect anything. We’re definitely not gonna be friends -- that’s for sure. But we work together and I can deal with that. At my age, if you’re gonna be my friend, you’re my friend. Everyone you meet cannot be your friend, and Kim cannot be my friend. She’s not trustworthy enough, and she’s not even a good enough diva.
Have you changed your opinion about her singing voice?
No, she truly can’t sing. The truth hurts, but she’s gonna try again, so clean out your ears and get ready.
Read more with the housewives and Bravo's Andy Cohen:
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 1 hour 49 min ago
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM