BY Jason Lamphier
September 10 2009 5:05 AM ET
If Bravo is TV’s reigning dynasty for drama-loving gays, then this season’s hit series The Real Housewives of Atlanta is its golden child. And the show can thank one Housewife in particular for its triumphant track record: the gloriously outspoken NeNe Leakes. We went behind the scenes of this month’s cover story photo shoot to catch up with the unpredictable Georgia peach, who just released her memoir, Never Make the Same Mistake Twice, and announced she used to be a stripper. Her eyes poppin’ and lips bustin’, Leakes talks about her gay husband Dwight, her dislike for fellow Housewife and former BFF Kim Zolciak, and her crush on a certain CNN silver fox.
Advocate.com: Is there a question you’re afraid I might ask?
NeNe Leakes: I’m an open book. You can ask me anything, viewers can ask me anything. It doesn’t matter. I have thick skin. Just don’t be mad at my answer.
What did you think of the first episode of The Real Housewives of Atlanta, when Sheree got into a row with her party planner, Anthony?
I was just as surprised as you were. First of all, my gay husband, Dwight, came over and gave me a fantastic crawl, darling. I love that. As for Sheree? Drama! Sheree and I don’t always agree, but I have to be on her side on this one. Naturally, it’s her party, so you do what she says. She hired Anthony to do the job, whether it was for free or not. It doesn’t matter.
Can we expect any explosive moments from you this season?
I’m kinda quiet. Just kidding, honey! You really need to laugh at that. I still try to mend things with Sheree and Kim, but some things stay and some go. Some are done forever.
How are you doing with Kim?
Kim is Kim. I don’t expect anything. We’re definitely not gonna be friends -- that’s for sure. But we work together and I can deal with that. At my age, if you’re gonna be my friend, you’re my friend. Everyone you meet cannot be your friend, and Kim cannot be my friend. She’s not trustworthy enough, and she’s not even a good enough diva.
Have you changed your opinion about her singing voice?
No, she truly can’t sing. The truth hurts, but she’s gonna try again, so clean out your ears and get ready.
Read more with the housewives and Bravo's Andy Cohen:
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Women WATCH: Behold! Tina Fey & Amy Poehler Are Back in First Golden Globes Promo 38 min 36 sec ago
- Entertainment News Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream 1 hour 35 min ago
- Politics India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban 2 hours 9 min ago
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 2 hours 55 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM