BY Jason Lamphier
September 10 2009 6:05 AM ET
If Bravo is TV’s reigning dynasty for drama-loving gays, then this season’s hit series The Real Housewives of Atlanta is its golden child. And the show can thank one Housewife in particular for its triumphant track record: the gloriously outspoken NeNe Leakes. We went behind the scenes of this month’s cover story photo shoot to catch up with the unpredictable Georgia peach, who just released her memoir, Never Make the Same Mistake Twice, and announced she used to be a stripper. Her eyes poppin’ and lips bustin’, Leakes talks about her gay husband Dwight, her dislike for fellow Housewife and former BFF Kim Zolciak, and her crush on a certain CNN silver fox.
Advocate.com: Is there a question you’re afraid I might ask?
NeNe Leakes: I’m an open book. You can ask me anything, viewers can ask me anything. It doesn’t matter. I have thick skin. Just don’t be mad at my answer.
What did you think of the first episode of The Real Housewives of Atlanta, when Sheree got into a row with her party planner, Anthony?
I was just as surprised as you were. First of all, my gay husband, Dwight, came over and gave me a fantastic crawl, darling. I love that. As for Sheree? Drama! Sheree and I don’t always agree, but I have to be on her side on this one. Naturally, it’s her party, so you do what she says. She hired Anthony to do the job, whether it was for free or not. It doesn’t matter.
Can we expect any explosive moments from you this season?
I’m kinda quiet. Just kidding, honey! You really need to laugh at that. I still try to mend things with Sheree and Kim, but some things stay and some go. Some are done forever.
How are you doing with Kim?
Kim is Kim. I don’t expect anything. We’re definitely not gonna be friends -- that’s for sure. But we work together and I can deal with that. At my age, if you’re gonna be my friend, you’re my friend. Everyone you meet cannot be your friend, and Kim cannot be my friend. She’s not trustworthy enough, and she’s not even a good enough diva.
Have you changed your opinion about her singing voice?
No, she truly can’t sing. The truth hurts, but she’s gonna try again, so clean out your ears and get ready.
Read more with the housewives and Bravo's Andy Cohen:
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 1 hour 6 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM