BY Michael Fairman
September 17 2009 5:35 PM ET
“It’s a diverse world and what I learned from the Otalia story line, and
from the e-mails I got from all over the world, was how forthcoming
people were with their stories. Their gratitude... it would literally make
me weep. It just seemed too big to ignore. When Guiding Light got
canceled it was like we just could not let this go.”
And what of
missing her beloved screen partner, Jessica Leccia (Natalia)? “Jessica
is my friend. We truly supported each other and wanted the best for
each other. I am Auntie Crystal to her daughter Ivy now, but we will
see what happens with our new characters, Gina and Annie in Venice.”
Stay tuned! For more on Chappell’s feelings on Guiding Light’s finale,
the end of Otalia, her return as Dr. Carly Manning on Days, and her new Web series Venice, go to my website for my brand new full-length
Chappell interview, and you can hear the audio of our interview there
I Love Lucy
On As the World Turns, soap fans have been treated for the past few months to the return of one of daytime's favorite actresses. I am talking about the wonderful Lynn Herring.
Currently, Lynn is chewing the scenery in a short stint as Henry Dawson’s gold-digging mother, Audrey. But all good things must come to an end, and Lynn will be leaving the series come October.
Many remember Lynn for her performance on both General Hospital and its spin-off, Port Charles, as the outlandish Lucy Coe. I had the chance to speak with Lynn for a new interview out next week, and touched on why the gay fans loved their Lucy!
“I had gotten such amazing response from the gay community… part of the people jumped to the assumption that she did have great hats! [Laughs] More than just the great outfits and outlandish behavior, which was fun and titillating, I think the main thing with Lucy was she was trying to fit into society and you always saw her motivation was pure. She was a survivalist in that a lot of people thought she did not fit into their society. So I think the gay community could identify with trying to survive, struggle, and be accepted, and that is what Lucy wanted, to be accepted.”
Back in the day of GH’s famous Nurses Ball, it was Lucy who spearheaded the fund-raising efforts by putting on a talent show, but sadly, the highly anticipated soap event faded into oblivion. During its heyday, the episodes entertained while trying to enlighten the audience about HIV/AIDS.
Herring recalls, “I was very proud of that, and the Nurses Ball was a symbol. We had the AIDS Quilt come through and we had a lot of discussion from the characters through various speeches about how AIDS had affected them, and it became part of our story without preaching to the audience. When it did not happen anymore, part of it was budgetary, but to me I think we got complacent. To me to drop the whole thing like, 'AIDS is gone, we fixed it,' ah, that’s not what happened. I wished we would have followed more of the couples and people that were dealing with AIDS for a continuum of 15 years or so, instead of just the five or six we did for the Nurses Ball. The AIDS Quilt was a huge thing for that time and everybody was so proud on the set that we had it with us. We had this silence out of respect and mourning.”
But, in modern soap times, how does Lynn feel about her World Turns cast mates, Nuke? Since she is working in the same studio, she tells me she has nothing but high praise for the boys.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 8 min 10 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 53 min 6 sec ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 53 min 59 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 1 hour 9 min ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM