BY Advocate.com Editors
September 23 2009 9:55 AM ET
Will we see Coach Sylvester in anything other than matching track suits this season?
There will be a moment where she's in a zoot suit. One moment. You'll have to wait and see the show -- I'm not going to give it away.
What clubs were you a member of in high school in Illinois?
I was in the choir and I sang for the choir for four years and I did plays and I was also on the basketball team for a couple of years; I did the tennis team for a year, but I was mostly at home with the plays and singing.
Then that answers my next question: If you had to choose, which would you have joined, the glee club or Cheerios?
For me, personally, the glee club. Without a moment's hesitation.
Fox just announced a karaoke contest for Glee fans where viewers can log on to MySpace and sing one of the songs from the show and submit their videos for a chance to win a trip to Hollywood. If you were going to sing at karaoke, what song would you pick and why?
That's great! I think right now… I would sing [Henry Gross's] song "Shannon." [Sings] "Shannon is gonna hope she's …" that's next on my list. It's about a dead dog and goes up to a really high falsetto and every time I would hear that song I would cry. [Laughs]
How much of your role as Coach Sylvester comes from your experience playing butch lesbian Christy Cummings in Best in Show?
There's a strain of arrogance in both of them, but I think that Sue Sylvester's certitude and her absolute belief in herself is different from Christy Cummings, who though on the outside was very self-assured and everything, deep down inside she was really just barely holding it together.
Were you inspired by any of your former teachers?
Yeah. I had a teacher in college, an acting teacher, who we called the Dragon Lady who had this mystique around her that you really wanted to please her and you wanted her to notice you and she basically ruled through fear and humiliation and I kind of was inspired … a little of Sue Sylvester came from her.
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM
- Politics Here's Why Facebook Is Sponsoring Right-Wing CPAC March 06 2014 5:12 PM
- Media News Anchor on Russia's RT Network Quits Job on Air in Protest March 06 2014 4:34 PM