BY Advocate Contributors
September 28 2009 7:25 PM ET
The red-carpet gala -- also attended by actors Swoosie Kurtz, Michael Emerson (Lost), Carrie Preston (True Blood), and Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family) -- gave Jones a chance to meet Point Scholars, who shared their stories
with some 350 attendees about how Point changed their lives.
of their stories is so compelling and so charismatic,” says Jones.
“They must have such will and such a responsibility to have made it
this far as students and as scholars. I can’t wait to meet them … I’m
dying to meet a scholar.”
Actress Lily Tomlin presented Jones
with her award, and as it turns out, the two have a long history.
I was 19 years old [Tomlin] did a concert near my college in Pittsburgh -- this was in about 1977,” says Jones. “She was hosting a fund-raiser
for the defense fund for a known lesbian on the faculty of the
University of Pittsburgh who was being denied tenure because of her
Jones says she and some friends buddied up with
Tomlin’s tour manager to meet Tomlin after the show.
“We took her to a
park, and we played in the snow till about 1:30 in the morning,” says
Jones. “It was 15 degrees outside; there was about a foot of snow … We
had the best time in the world. And I never saw her again until she
came into my dressing room after a play I was doing in New York.”
auctions and donations, the Point Honors Benefit raised close to
$300,000 for the foundation. Also during the ceremony, Motorola
received the Point Inspiration Award for their corporate inclusion of LGBT people.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 1 hour 16 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 2 hours 12 min ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 2 hours 46 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 2 hours 46 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 2 hours 46 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM