BY Advocate Contributors
September 28 2009 7:25 PM ET
The red-carpet gala -- also attended by actors Swoosie Kurtz, Michael Emerson (Lost), Carrie Preston (True Blood), and Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family) -- gave Jones a chance to meet Point Scholars, who shared their stories
with some 350 attendees about how Point changed their lives.
of their stories is so compelling and so charismatic,” says Jones.
“They must have such will and such a responsibility to have made it
this far as students and as scholars. I can’t wait to meet them … I’m
dying to meet a scholar.”
Actress Lily Tomlin presented Jones
with her award, and as it turns out, the two have a long history.
I was 19 years old [Tomlin] did a concert near my college in Pittsburgh -- this was in about 1977,” says Jones. “She was hosting a fund-raiser
for the defense fund for a known lesbian on the faculty of the
University of Pittsburgh who was being denied tenure because of her
Jones says she and some friends buddied up with
Tomlin’s tour manager to meet Tomlin after the show.
“We took her to a
park, and we played in the snow till about 1:30 in the morning,” says
Jones. “It was 15 degrees outside; there was about a foot of snow … We
had the best time in the world. And I never saw her again until she
came into my dressing room after a play I was doing in New York.”
auctions and donations, the Point Honors Benefit raised close to
$300,000 for the foundation. Also during the ceremony, Motorola
received the Point Inspiration Award for their corporate inclusion of LGBT people.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 1 hour 45 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM