BY Brandon Voss
February 01 2010 7:05 PM ET
You obviously like being in control, but you’re forced to give up a lot of power during the editing process in reality television. Has that been difficult for you?
Well, I’m an executive producer on the Bravo show, but I’m willing to look bad because I don’t really care. My love affair with television is about communication and sharing a story that I enjoy telling. First of all, I’m just not a photogenic person, and I think I look better in person than I do on TV. Sometimes I actually look amazing on the new show, but other times it looks like I just had sex with Meat Loaf. I don’t know how one person can have 10 different looks when they always wear black and pull their hair back.
Was anything off-limits to Bravo’s cameras?
There were some clients who didn’t want to be involved in the show, but it’s pretty balls-out, no-holds-barred. They always needed permission to shoot in my house because I am not Kate Gosselin, so I didn’t want to do that to my daughter Ava, who’s only 7. They also wanted me to do crazy stuff like have my nanny let them in, shoot me sleeping, and tape how I wake up in the morning. I said, “Listen, America has a hard enough time looking at me when I’m actually trying to look good. No one needs to see me in my Target Gilligan & O’Malley pajamas.”
Kell on Earth premieres February 1 on Bravo. If You Have to Cry, Go Outside: And Other Things Your Mother Never Told You is available Tuesday, February 2.
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: Today's Tearjerker Featuring Binational Couple With 'Missing Husband'
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- Porn Star Wilfried Knight Commits Suicide After Long Battle With Immigration
- Hot Sheet: Super Duper Star Zack
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM