Sarah Silverman's Wild Mustache Ride
BY Brandon Voss
February 03 2010 3:00 PM ET
Funny lady Sarah Silverman established herself as a serious gay ally when she publicly vowed not to marry then-boyfriend Jimmy Kimmel until all Americans can legally wed, so it’s fitting that an LGBT network saved her Comedy Central sitcom from cancellation. Thanks to a financial partnership with Logo, The Sarah Silverman Program, for which she earned a 2009 Emmy nomination, returns for a third season February 4. Never one to skirt controversy — remember that AIDS episode or her jabs at Paris and Britney as host of MTV’s 2007 VMAs? — the 39-year-old Saint John of Las Vegas star embraces lesbian stereotypes and chastises straight liberals who continue to get married.
Advocate.com: Logo prevented The Sarah Silverman Program from getting canceled when it offered to cofinance the show with Comedy Central. What’s the appropriate thank-you gift for a five-year-old gay network?
Sarah Silverman: I don’t know, but we owe them everything. We would not be on the air this season if it wasn’t for Logo, hands down. And in return they asked for nothing — just to air the shows on their network, which is awesome. Truly, we are so grateful to Logo. They asked for no changes to content — nothing. So cool.
But did Logo’s involvement encourage you and your writers to increase the show’s gay content?
No, but there’s a lot of gay-centric stuff this season, which I’m excited about.
Can you give us any scoop on what Steve and Brian, everyone’s favorite overweight gay stoner couple, will be up to this season?
Steve and Brian have a pretty amazing arc this season. I really don’t want to give too much away, but they take their relationship to the next level. You’ll also meet Steve’s parents and Brian’s father this year. Steve and Brian actually have the “A” story line — the main story line — in our eighth episode this season that will make you cry at the end. Seriously.
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM
- Politics Black Lesbian Nominated as Federal Judge Sails Through Hearing March 12 2014 7:10 PM
- Jamaica Judge: Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Live in Sewers March 12 2014 7:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS What Do You Do When You Find Out You Have HIV? March 12 2014 7:06 PM