BY Christopher Mangum
February 22 2010 6:35 PM ET
Judging from your episodes, you must be a pop culture junkie.
I am. I try to ingest everything I can. I watch everything.
Yes! What I love about Jersey Shore is that it
is so gay. I think the motto for the guys is gym, tan, and laundry. It’s
such a stereotypical gay thing – the vanity, the tanning, going out
together to find someone.
It’s basically Queer As Folk on the
Jersey shore. Is there a gay stereotype you wish would just go away?
Certainly the gay best friend is one. I think the idea that we don’t
have an identity and live for these other people is super frustrating.
It’s like we are accessories, and defining gays as accessories then puts
us in the realm that we are not a real people and don’t have real
needs. I know that the straight-woman, gay-man relationship exists, and
those relationships can be very genuine, but the ones on TV are not.
they are usually abusive!
They are absolutely abusive, and
every time I think, Why are you friends with her? Why do you want to be
friends with someone [like that], or calls you the gay in front
of her friends and thinks it is fun?
Are there any gay people in
the media who are contributing positively or challenging gay clichés?
I think Ellen [DeGeneres] is one that talks about her life everyday on
TV, and I know that does make a difference. When I worked for Ellen, my
grandmother asked me if I had met Ellen’s wife. For my grandmother to
use the word wife when talking about a gay couple was crazy. I think she
does a lot in the way of subtly mentioning what her and her wife do. It
normalizes it so much that all she is saying is no different that what
anyone else would say. On the other end, I love Adam Lambert. I love the
flamboyance and the in your face attitude. I love that he goes out on
these award shows, does what it does, and points out a double standard. I
think there could be a lot more fuck it in the gay community.
long were you working as a writer on Ellen DeGeneres's show?
was almost there for five months and then Current wanted to do a second
season of That’s Gay.
Was there a lot of dancing at Ellen?
Everyday baby! I really did like that job a lot. It was great seeing
someone who bounced back bigger than before after going through a shit
storm in the 90’s. Everyone, gay or straight, just railed on her.
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 22 min 56 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 43 min 2 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 2 hours 34 min ago
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 3:20 PM
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 2:50 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 2:44 PM